We will open this program for submissions in February 2019. Stay tuned!
Are you revolutionizing the process, product, or practice of architecture? ARCHITECT magazine’s annual R+D Awards program honors the research and technologies that have advanced the profession at every scale—from design strategies and building products to fabrication methods, installations, software, and materials. Winning entries will be published in the July issue of ARCHITECT with expanded coverage online at architectmagazine.com. Also, new this year, award recipients will be offered a residency in the Autodesk BUILD Space, in Boston (more information below).
We recommend you use Google Chrome or Firefox to complete the online registration and submission process.
The R+D Awards program is open to architects, engineers, fabricators, manufacturers, researchers, faculty, and students worldwide. Full-time faculty and students are eligible to receive a discounted registration rate.
Entries must have been in active development or completed after Jan. 1, 2015 (in-progress work is acceptable). Product submissions must be currently available on the U.S. commercial market. To see the wide range of submissions that the R+D Awards program receives, visit our archive of past winners.
Awards will be judged in three categories, reflecting the different stages in the R+D process:
- Prototype: For entries that are in the experimental and testing phase.
- Production: For entries that are currently available on the commercial market.
- Application: For entries that demonstrate a novel use of a technology or product.
Entries will be judged for their documented R+D methodology, impact on the building industry, and potential to advance the aesthetic, environmental, and social value of architecture. Digital technologies such as software, modeling programs, mobile apps, and analysis tools are welcomed.
The following leaders and innovators in architecture will jury this year’s awards program:
- Jackilin Hah Bloom and Florencia Pita, partners, Pita & Bloom
- Tom Chung, AIA, principal, Leers Weinzapfel Associates
- Randy Deutsch, AIA, Clinical Associate Professor and Associate Director for Graduate Studies, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
AUTODESK BUILD SPACE RESIDENT PROGRAM
In a collaboration with ARCHITECT, Autodesk is offering winners of this year’s R+D Awards the option to participate in its resident program at its BUILD Space, in Boston. Among its many features, the 34,000-square-foot facility is equipped with workshops for metal fabrication, precision machining, woodworking, waterjet cutting, laser cutting, CNC routing, robotics, 3D printing, steel forming, textiles, and more—all of which are available to its residents, which, to date, have included startups, established firms, and academics. The term and tenure of each residency for the ARCHITECT R+D Award winners will be determined by Autodesk with input from the winners themselves.
- Early bird: Friday, April 13, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. ET
- Regular: Friday, April
2027, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. ET
REGISTRATION FEES (in U.S. Dollars)
- Early bird: $175
- Regular deadline: $225
- Academic: $95
- Early bird / Academic: $95 each
- Regular deadline: $145 each
Registration fees are non-refundable. You must register and pay for your entry online before you can upload submission materials.
Entering the R+D Awards is a two-step process:
- Step 1: Registration and Payment. This form will ask for basic entry and contact information. This information is used only to identify your project in the awards database and cannot be edited once submitted.
- Step 2: Submission Materials. After completing the registration form and paying the appropriate fee, you will be asked for a written abstract and support materials. The abstract (300 words max.) should cover the entry’s R+D objectives, process, and innovation. Acceptable support materials include images, photographs, diagrams, portfolio pages, PDF pages saved as JPEG files, drawings, screenshots, videos, and other visual collateral, as well as captions and supplementary text. You can save, edit, and return to your submission up until you check out and hit the "Finalize" button. IMPORTANT: Judging will be blind. Do not include your name, firm, institution, and commercial or trademarked name of the product or entry anywhere in your abstract or support materials; rather, use a generic descriptor such as architect, design studio, lighting lighting manufacturer, or software developer.
Upload specifications: A maximum of 20 files totaling no more than 50 MB may be uploaded. Preferred file types are JPG, JPEG, or PNG images and MP4 videos. We cannot accept PDFs at this time; however, you can convert pages from a PDF document into individual JPG files.
Because the entries range widely in topic and scale, there is no standard submission format. However, upon registering and paying the registration fee, you will have access to submission examples from past winners. Remember: This competition celebrates the process of R+D, from learning and discovery to trial and error. Concise documentation of the effort put forth in the project, technology, or product can go a long way in telling the story behind the final result.
ARCHITECT will send an automated email confirmation for each registration, payment, and entry submission to the designated contact person. Due to the volume of entries, ARCHITECT cannot respond to individual inquiries regarding submission status or the competition.
The editors of ARCHITECT reserve the right to refuse publication of winning entries that fail to meet the entry criteria.
All materials submitted to the 2018 R+D Awards program become the property of Hanley Wood Media. ARCHITECT retains the right to consider all submissions, regardless of their winning status, for future publication.
Email Selin Ashaboglu, ARCHITECT assistant editor, at [email protected].