The 2019 competition is now closed. Learn more about the winners on ARCHTECT magazine's website. Get inspired to enter our 2020 R+D Awards, which will begin accepting submissions in early 2020.
Are you revolutionizing the process, product, or practice of architecture? ARCHITECT magazine’s annual R+D Awards program honors research and technologies at every scale that have advanced the profession—from design strategies and building products to fabrication methods, installations, software, and materials. Winning entries will be published in the July print issue of ARCHITECT with expanded coverage online at architectmagazine.com.
We recommend you use Google Chrome or Firefox to complete the online registration and submission process.
The R+D Awards program is open to architects, engineers, fabricators, manufacturers, researchers, faculty, and students worldwide. Full-time faculty and students are eligible to receive a discounted registration rate.
Entries must have been in active development or completed after Jan. 1, 2016 (in-progress work is acceptable). Product submissions must be currently available on the U.S. commercial market, but entrants can be located worldwide.
To see the wide range of projects recognized by the R+D Awards program, visit our archive of past winners.
Awards will be judged in three categories, reflecting the different stages in the R+D process:
- Prototype: For entries that are in the experimental and testing phase.
- Production: For entries that are available on the commercial market.
- Application: For entries that demonstrate a novel use of a technology or product.
Entries will be judged for their documented R+D methodology, impact on the building industry, and potential to advance the aesthetic, environmental, and social value of architecture. Digital technologies such as software, modeling programs, mobile apps, and analysis tools are welcomed.
The R+D Awards will be reviewed by the following jury of thought leaders and innovators in architecture and design:
- Craig Curtis, FAIA, president, Katerra Architecture
- James Garrett Jr., AIA, founding partner, 4RM+ULA
- Carrie Strickland, FAIA, founding principal, Works Progress Architecture
Entering the R+D Awards is a three-step process:
- Step 1: Registration and Payment. This form will ask for basic entry and contact information. This information is used only to identify your project in the awards database and cannot be edited once submitted.
- Step 2: Upload Materials. After completing the registration form and paying the appropriate fee, you will be asked for a written abstract and support materials. The abstract (300 words max.) should cover the entry’s R+D objectives, process, and innovation. Acceptable support materials include images, photographs, diagrams, portfolio pages, PDF pages saved as JPEG files, drawings, screenshots, videos, and other visual collateral, as well as captions and supplementary text. You can save, edit, and return to your submission up until you check out and hit the "Finalize" button. IMPORTANT: Judging will be blind. Do not include your name, firm, institution, and commercial or trademarked name of the product or entry anywhere in your abstract or support materials; rather, use a generic descriptor such as architect, design studio, lighting lighting manufacturer, or software developer.
- Step 3: Submission. Finalize and submit your entries. Once you finalize and submit an entry, you will not be able to edit it further.
Upload specifications: A maximum of 20 files or pages can be submitted in Step 2. Preferred file types are JPG, JPEG, PDF and MP4 videos. We prefer images are 300 DPI and not exceed 4,000 pixels in width or height. Note: If submitting PDF files, upload each page (up to 20) individually, and not together as a booklet.
• Early bird: Friday, April 19, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. ET
Friday, April 26, 2019, Wednesday, May 1, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. ET
REGISTRATION FEES (in U.S. dollars)
• Early bird: $175
• Regular deadline: $225
• Academic: $95
• Early bird / Academic: $95 each
• Regular deadline: $145 each
Registration fees are non-refundable. You must register and pay for your entry online before you can upload submission materials.
Because the entries to the R+D Awards range widely in topic and scale, there is no standard submission format. However, upon registering and paying the registration fee, you will have access to submission examples from past winners. Remember: This competition celebrates the R+D process, from learning and discovery to trial and error. Concise and visual documentation of the effort put forth in the project, technology, or product can go a long way in telling the story behind the final result.
ARCHITECT will send an automated email confirmation for each registration, payment, and entry submission to the designated contact person. Due to the volume of entries, ARCHITECT cannot respond to individual inquiries regarding submission status or the competition.
The editors of ARCHITECT reserve the right to refuse judging and publication of entries that fail to meet the entry criteria.
All materials submitted to the R+D Awards program become the property of Hanley Wood Media. ARCHITECT retains the right to consider all submissions, regardless of their winning status, for future publication.
Find a link to our FAQs in the upper left of the navigation bar. Still have questions? Email Wanda Lau at [email protected].